Remember the PASS word.
P – Pull the pin located in the extinguishers handle
A – Aim the nozzle, horn or hose at the base of the fire.
S – Squeeze or press the handle.
S – Sweep from side to side at the base of the fire until it is out.
FIRE EXTINGUISHERS 101
• Note the location of the fire extinguisher in your work area
• Familiarize yourself with the operation of the fire extinguisher
• Learn your escape routes
• Know your capabilities to control or extinguisher a fire
• Evacuate to a safe area and then call 911
THE 3 A’S TO REMEMBER WHEN FIGHTING A FIRE:
• ACTIVATE the building’s alarm system or call 911.
• ASSIST any person who is in immediate danger or incapable of exiting the building on their own.
• Only after these two steps are completed should you ATTEMPT to extinguish the fire.
Fire Extinguisher Safety
All County Fire is committed to continued education of fire safety. It is important that each person understand, not only how to use a fire extinguisher but what type, for how long and at what distance.
Fire extinguishers are manufactured by class and combinations of classes. It is important that the class of fire extinguisher match the class of fire you are attempting to extinguish.
Oil Based Paint
Energized electrical equipment
Only fight a fire IF:
The fire is small and contained.
You are safe from toxic smoke.
You have a means of escape.
Your instincts tell your it;s OK.
Do NOT fight a fire IF:
You cannot see.
You cannot breathe.
The fire is too hot to get close to.